Cultivation of Aromatic Plants
Opportunity in cultivation of aromatic plants
– By Sukesh Kumar Sinha
- Aromatic Industry in India
- Important plants suitable for Konkan region
- List of different plants suitable for the region
- Cultivation methodologies
- Post harvest processing & Buyback
Aromatic Industry in India
- There is an ever increasing demand of natural -food, pharmaceutical, perfumery, flavors and cosmetic products based on aromatic plants
- Currently, the demand for these plants and their derivatives has increased because they are natural, eco-friendly and generally recognized as safe products.
- Aromatic oils are constituted of various chemicals which are difficult to synthesize chemically.
Important plants suitable for Konkan region
- India exhibits a wide range of topography & climate suitable for growth of various plants
- Based on the climatic conditions prevalent in Konkan following aromatic plants can be cultivated.
- Lemongrass/Gawati chai
- Pink pepper/Lalmiri