Today many academic institutions posses vast reserve of underutilized resources in terms of infrastructure, equipments and qualified man power. The proper mobilization of these resources for conducting industry and field related courses and research projects, not only keep the facilities tuned up for university education but also give much needed financial support to the colleges.
On this background our objectives are:
1. To provide technical support to the farmers of region.
2. To inculcate research atmosphere among the every stakeholder of college.
3. To provide wide scale platform for undergraduate and post graduate students under the scheme of earn and learn.
4. To provide consultancy to the small entrepreneurs of the region.
5. To undertake research projects based on value addition of natural products available in the region.
6. To give training to the students and farmers of the region.
7. To make maximum utilization of underutilized resources in a traditional college.
8. To generate revenue from all these activities to enhance the facilities.
In view of above objectives, Shikshan Vikas Mandal’s, Shri. S.H.Kelkar college of Arts, Commerce and Science , Devgad has establishment a platform ‘Bio-Product Research And Training Centre’ in April-2006.
Activities At A Glance
1. Testing Facilities for Agriculture and value added products.
Initially soil testing laboratory was established in May 2006 with few equipments. During last five years laboratory is upgraded by taking finance from state bank Of India, Devgad Branch. At present the laboratory is well equipped with following testing facilities:-Soil – 22 different parameters with fertilizers recommendations.
1. Water[Irrigation Purpose] – 10 different parameters.
2. Organic Manures – 10 different parameters.
3. Leaf and Petiole – 10 different parameters.
4. Mango wine – Alcohol and acid value content.
5. Chitin and Chitoson – Protein content.
During last five years around 7000 soil, water, organic manure, leaf and petiole samples are successfully analyzed in the laboratory.
Consultancy, Tie-up and Collaboration:-
Consultancy is provided to farmers and various small entrepreneurs in region. Not only that, we have provided the technological support to academic institutions for setting up of similar kind of soil testing laboratory.
Following are our important clients:-
1. Dhiraj Sarvankar, ‘Sagar Products’, Vijaydyrg.
2. Premchand Sarang , ‘Organic Fertilizer Unit’, Malvan.
3. Pandhari bandekar, ‘Sanjeevani Agro Feed’, Munage, Tal:- Devgad.
4. Ravindra Joshi, ‘Asha Oil Mill’, A kokum butter manufacture Unit, Devgad.
5. JSW Realty and Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd., Dist:- Belliary, Karnataka State.
6. ‘Syamantak’, NGO working at Dhamapur, Tal – Malvan.
7. ‘Amba Utpadak Co-operative Society’, Tal:- Devgad.
8. Gadark Lab Pvt. Ltd. , Sindhudurg.
9. District Agricultural Officer, Sindhudurg.
10. District Agricultural Officer, Ratnagiri.
11. District Soil Testing and Soil Survey Officer, Sindhudurg.
12. District Soil Testing and Soil Survey Officer, Ratnagiri.
13. Post graduate students of College and University sub centre Ratnagiri for their projects.
14. Dapoli Arban Bank Science Senior college, Dapoli, Dist: Ratnagiri.
15. Arts, Commerce and Science College, Lanja, Dist: Ratnagiri.
16. Viva College, Virar.
1. Preparation of project report on manufacturing of Organic manures.
2. Laboratory level experiments on manufacturing of Chitin, Chitoson, Glucosamine from fish wastes.
3. Providing testing facility to minor research projects undertaken by teachers, students of various colleges in the region.
One of the objective of centre is to generate revenue which can be utilize for up gradation of laboratory and to provide stipend to the students.
From May 2006 till today the total revenue generated by the centre is around Rs. 70 Lakhs , which is utilized for up gradation of laboratory, distribution as stipend to the students and remuneration to the working people. It is also utilized for the repayment of Bank finance which was borrowed from State Bank Of India, Devgad branch for up gradation of laboratory.
1. About 25000 farmers and mango growers from Sindhudurg and Ratnagiri district are benefited by our soil testing lab.
2. Many small entrepreneurs are received technical support from the centre.
3. Around 60 students of our college are trained for soil testing and also received the stipend in their vacations per annum.
4. Many research students and teachers from nearby colleges are provided instrumental support for their research projects.
1. Up gradation of testing laboratory with advance instrumentation like gas Chromatography, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography, FTIR,GC-MS.
2. To provide testing facilities to the small scale food and canning industries of Sindhudurg
3. To provide advance instrumentation facility to the research students and teachers of Konkan region.
4. To built a mobile van with well equipped soil testing facilities which can reach to farmers.
5. To run short term crash courses on hands on training on advance instruments like HPLC, GC, FTIR, GC-MS
6. A waiting for the sanction of UGC sponsored Post Graduate Diploma in Innovative and Emerging areas ( Post Graduate Diploma In Agro Analytical Chemistry ).